The Summer holidays have arrived at last and it is time to get a few projects ticked off of the sewing list! 🙂
My latest make is the Sew Over It vintage shirt dress that my mum bought me for my birthday along with some lovely floral fabric. I am still putting the finishing touches on the floral number but I also made one in this lovely check material too.
I actually started the floral one first but I have had this fabric in my stash for a while after I bought it on a whim from The Stitchery in Lewes. I knew that I wanted to make a dress with it but the check pattern made me nervous – all that pattern matching! However, I took the plunge and I’m so glad I did as it’s my new favourite Summer frock.
The pattern was really easy to follow and the instructions come in a really lovely book form, so no battling with large sheets of paper. It took me quite a while to figure out the pattern matching and I am pleased with the result – I’m not that good at being patient so this was a challenge in itself! I’m really chuffed with the way the checks line up across the front and I’m particularly smug about the matching on the collar too:
I used some red vintage buttons that I found in an antique shop for a few pounds and they match perfectly. So I’m ready for a picnic and I really don’t mind that I could be camouflaged against the picnic blanket!