My sewing machine is still in A&E and I have been going cold turkey for too long now! Apparently in needs a new display board and has been packed off to a place that deals in Brother machines. I have done everything I can to keep myself occupied with sewing related jobs: 1) Sorted out my sewing room – I call it the sewing room, my partner calls it the spare room. 2) Cut out and overlocked some undies – they look great, but not useful without elastic. 3) Finshed off a few projects with a spot of hand sewing – I don’t know why I left this so long as it’s nice to have new garments to wear. 4) Ordering new patterns – very exciting! 5) Cutting patterns – boring (yawns). Quite frankly, my life cannot go on without a sewing machine! I was just about to seek therapy via Google when my lovely Mum came to the rescue! She has loaned me her machine!! 🙂 I think the wailing and moaning had obviously got to her and she couldn’t take anymore – to be honest, I would have got pretty peeved with myself too! I can’t tell you the relief I have felt this weekend whilst sewing the Clemence skirt from Tilly’s Love at First Stitch book!
I’m feeling pretty smug about this one as I have used up some more fabric from my stash that I bought years ago. I had always thought it would make a lovely skirt as although it’s cotton, it looks like the black silhouettes are made of velvet. Beth from After Dark Sewing made a really cute Clemence recently and I thought it would be fun to try it out. I took my measurements and cut out a me sized pattern. I decided not to do the French seam method as Tilly suggests. Partly because the fabric is cotton and overlocks well and also because I wanted it to be a speedy make! I felt that the fabric needed brightening up as it could run the risk of looking a little dowdy.
After some pondering, I decided to make my own red piping to go around the waistband and found a pretty polka dot fabric that would do the job nicely.Not easy to sew into a gathered skirt, but I persevered and took it slowly (I didn’t want to break Mum’s machine too!) One little niggle is that the piping made the zip a little tricky to do up. I cut away quite a bit of bulk inside the seam, where the piping sits, but it still struggles. I’m hoping that after a couple of washes the fabric it will settle down a bit. Next time I will try a slightly thinner piping. It’s not perfect, but I can live with it!
Overall this was a nice easy pattern that fits beautifully. As for the fabric, it should have seen the light of day long before now! It makes a lovely winter addition to the wardrobe teamed with black tights and long boots, but I can wear it in the summer too with a white blouse and my red Mary Jane shoes!
An all year round skirt + a happy sewist = No therapy needed. Thanks Mum! 🙂
Until next time…