Dress · Vintage Look

Vintage Vibe

DSC_5593

A few weeks ago I was waiting for my car to be fixed when I stumbled across a 70’s duvet cover in a charity shop.  It was love at first sight and I really felt like I had found buried treasure!  The single duvet cover cost me £5 – I couldn’t believe my luck and began modelling it in front of the shop mirror.  I gasped with delight while receiving some strange looks from the customers – little did they know! 😀

The fabric shouted ‘mod dress’ at me and I knew that the  Simplicity pattern (K1609) was going to get another airing, and this time with a collar.  By the time I had picked the car up I had it all figured out in my head.  The the scalloped edge in the fabric was going to tie in perfectly with the shape of the collar.

DSC_5603Of course, this was all a dream that I was having in the charity shop, but guess what? It came true! *does Disney princess twirl*

I ended up lining the front of the dress with some lightweight viscose.  It made the white stand out more and gave the dress a really professional finish.  I also used white bias binding around the armholes as I thought that it would give a real ‘retro’ feel.

DSC_5606I’m really pleased that I didn’t go with the shell motif up the back.  I just used the sides of the duvet cover instead.  It reminds me of holly leaves and I like the contrast to the front of the dress.

DSC_5598 (2)

When I wear this dress I can’t help but be in a good mood.  It’s playful, fun and original and there isn’t another one quite like it!

I only used one half of the duvet cover so this dress was made for under a fiver.  To me it’s priceless – I love it! 🙂

Until next time…

22 thoughts on “Vintage Vibe

  1. WOW WOW WOW!!! There are three things to say about your latest creation, Becky, beautiful, gorgeous and absolutely stunning. Well done on such a lovely piece of work. I must admit I couldn’t quite picture where you were going with this duvet cover when we first saw it in that charity shop, but OMG, the end result is amazing. 😄😄 X Lovely photos too. X

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Wow! What a great meeting of fabric and pattern! This looks great in you and you look really comfortable in it too 🙂 Ditto Amanda, I’ll definitely be trying this pattern with the collar now, well done!

    Like

  3. This is fantastic- really perfect for the pattern. I have a history of making clothes from bedding (in fact, I think I’ve made this version of this dress from a bed sheet before!

    Like

    1. Thanks! There are some really lovely old fabrics around aren’t there? Using bedding is a great idea especially when using a new pattern. Then if it doesn’t quite work out you are only a few pounds out of pocket. 🙂

      Like

    1. Good luck, but be warned, once you start making a dress you can’t stop! This dress was the same pattern I used for the bow dress. I love the way you can create really different looks with one pattern. This means you can find the perfect fit and use it again and again. I look forward to seeing your finished dress! 🙂

      Like

  4. Wow that’s stunning! I love it! Especially the collar, it’s perfect for the rest of the dress. And you’ve still got half the doona cover? Kewl!

    It’s hard to find nice linens in op-shops here. I did find two beautiful pea-green fitted sheets, and excitedly brought them home. When my mother saw them and learnt they came from an op-shop she was like ‘oh great! I need some new fitted sheets.’
    I didn’t have the heart to tell her they were supposed to be for my sewing!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s